Sunday 25 November 2012

31. Tohru


Hi Tohru here! This is my first blog, but I’m pretty much just going to talk about things like it’s the norm. So, how was everyone’s Thanksgiving? I had a really good time!! I went to my Grandmother’s house and we made a lot of food. Couldn’t take any pictures though because it was gone before I could even give thanks!  I have a story of that one fine question everyone always asks around these times. “What are you thankful for?”
Well, my Nana lives relatively close to Emerald Isle, which is a pretty amazing surf hangout so I hit the waves the day after Thanksgiving! The water was freezing, but there is nothing like Fall/Winter waves. This one swell I hit almost  scared me to death. I saw dorsal fins and shadows in the waves… Of course, being me I assumed they were sharks. Emerald Isle is notorious for sharks hanging around the lighthouse. I froze up… I didn’t know what to do. If I panicked too much, I’d fall off my board. If I stayed on my board… eventually the wave would end and I would have to get down. With my luck I’d get some sort of rip tide.
Then it happened… a clashing wave caused by the rip tides. It collided right into me and I fell. Fearing the worse, I clung to my board, riding the wave until it carried me to a nearby sand bar.  I didn’t see anything in the water from that point on, so I headed to the shore.  Off the sandbar and into the depths I swam. Then, something brushed my leg. I froze, knowing that sharks are attracted to movement. Then, it nudged me again. My heart thudded in my chest so hard, I thought it would explode. Right when I thought my poor heart couldn’t take it anymore, something blew up at me through the water.
A dolphin… not just one dolphin, but a whole family of dolphins. They were playing with me?! I couldn’t believe it… I was so scared for nothing. So, as it turns out… I was surfing with dolphins all day, and I had no idea. They were so cute, and I think they wanted me to pet them, but I decided against touching them too much. By that time I was starting to shiver from the cold water. I needed to get on land before I froze to death.  After I got home that day, no one believed me that I surfed with dolphins. So, I insisted that we go to the beach as a family the next day. Sure enough, those dolphins were still there, playing. It was like the dolphins were having a little Thanksgiving of their own!!


Later that day, we all played on the shores , sticking our feet in the water and chasing waves as they crashed on the seashell embedded shore. We watched the sunset as it trickled behind the ocean. Such beauty was captured in that one moment.  So, I guess I am thankful for the little moments. Being surrounded by the ones you love and so much amazing scenery, what more could you ask for?



Thank you for reading and I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving; I know I did!! So tell me… What are you thankful for?

P.S. We also drove to the nearest military facility, Ft. Macon. We got this super pretty picture of the canons that protected the fort during many battles of the civil war and other attacks on the fort. That’s me next to the canon in the middle > v < <3 Have a good day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment